Sunday, August 10, 2008

Royal School of Needlework - 3 day Jacobean Crewel Class

It has always been a dream to take classes at the Royal School of Needlework. Last February the dream came true. We had retired and now living near Hampton Court Palace and going to school. The three day Jacobean Crewel class is the first class I took and throughly enjoyed every minute. I had taken a crewel class as the Elsa Williams School of Needleart near Boston many years ago, so I did have a little experience although experience is not required.

There were 10 people in the class and we were shown several designs we could stitch or we could design our own. I choice the above design. We used the prick and pounce method to transfer the design to the twill linen fabric. I had never seen this method of transferring designs, I found it easy to do, maybe not fast but that is fine too.

Next we had to select colors, I choose shades blue, purple, yellow and green, love the colors. I probably would not have picked the purples but I do like the combination.

And then the stitching began using many different stitches from the book "Embroidery Stitch Bible" which several of us purchased at the Royal School of Needlework shop.

The project is done and waiting to be framed, I will post a picture of the framed piece.

1 comment:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Retirement does have its advantages, doesn't it? (grinning)

I must say that I love all your projects and will be visiting your blog often from now on.

Pierrette =^..^=